Life

A Look Back | Life after a miscarriage.

Written in January 2015:

A year ago I experienced an early pregnancy loss. I was only about 7 weeks along when I found out I was pregnant and then the next day I began miscarrying. I didn’t have enough time to completely comprehend the change that was happening before I started to lose the one thing I have looked forward to the most since Jason and I were married. I shared with Jason the loss a few days after it happened.  It took me a few days to be able to put everything into words so I wrote it in a card.  It was an emotional day for Jason and I. It bonded us together as husband and wife which I wouldn’t change for the world. Jason and I decided to keep it between us, knowing that it happened so fast and that we both weren’t prepared to have this, being a fresh loss, so out in the open. As we approached the 1 year anniversary of this loss I have been processing a lot of unexpected emotions. I’ve been reflecting on the last year and everything I have gone through emotionally, grasping for any way to find comfort.

At first, I struggled with knowing it wasn’t the right time for our family to grow but wanting that baby I had lost. I know we would love that baby with all our hearts.  I then started dealing with anger and feeling like I wasn’t justified to be angry. Why did we have to lose this baby?  I can’t remember a time that I DIDN’T want a baby, struggling with knowing I couldn’t have my baby crushed me. Something that helped me get through this time is looking at the baby section of stores. I avoided them with all I had for months. It hurt every time to pass by them and know I didn’t have my baby to shop for. I knew I needed to get through that trigger, I jumped head on. What ended up happening, was I had an overwhelming sense of hope. Hope for the day I will be the one buying little outfits and blankets. Hope for the day I will be the one shopping for maternity clothes. Hope for the day I will be the one bouncing my little one in my arms. Now I am in a place of peace.  I wouldn’t have gotten here without letting myself grieve.  It is a process that is painful but necessary for complete healing. Now that I have allowed myself to grieve I am able to treasure that little babe that is with the Lord and am content in knowing that someday when it’s God’s timing our family will grow. I still struggle with the pain of this loss and always will. That pain will never go away but what has changed is that I am comforted in knowing The Lord has a plan. A beautiful and perfect plan. I wear a gold bar necklace with an “a” on it, symbolizing my sweet Angel Baby. Someday I hope to find a 14k gold one that will last me forever.

This past year I have struggled with keeping this hidden. It has been one of the deepest struggles I have dealt with. Loss of any kind makes an impression on your heart. You are forever changed by that loss, you can make that change a positive or a negative change. Through the Lord’s guidance, this loss has been a positive change for me. I have prayed long and hard about expressing this part of my heart. I pray my story can bring hope to someone who is feeling hopeless.  I pray my story can bring direction to someone who is lost. I pray my story can encourage someone who is discouraged.

One day, all of you will be able to celebrate with us when we grow our family.  It will be one of the happiest times of my life.  A time I feel I will treasure more now than I would have before. For now, I am content being a mama of a little angel baby.

3 Years Later:

Since writing this post, I have found what makes my heart at peace celebrating our Angel Baby. Each anniversary of this day, I buy a single white rose and place it in a vase. This reminds me of the sweet little soul that is in heaven and waiting for me each day. On that day I go and buy a gift for our future babies. This gives me hope for what is to come and peace for what wasn’t meant to be. Sometimes when I find something that gives me joy for our future, I will buy it and place it in our hope box.

These two things help me to get through a day that could be unbearable. I have found such peace in this day and hope. If you have a loss that you struggle having peace through, I encourage you to find what helps you find hope through that anniversary. It will be different then everyone else who has gone through a loss but what is important, is that helps you.

Since losing out precious babe, I have been able to walk through some hard roads some of my closest friends have had to walk. I wouldn’t have had the compassion and understanding to give them if I hadn’t walked through that journey before. I am hopeful to see the rest of our story come together and to see how God uses this story throughout my life.

PS These photos are not up to par with what I create now but my mom encouraged me to keep

these ones on this post out of memory during this time.

A story of our miscarriage and how we have found peace and hope during this loss.

previous post
next post

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

Claire
    January 14, 2017 at 7:54 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your story.

God bless,
    XO,Claire

Nicholle
      January 15, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Thank you so much for reading. It means the world to me. God bless!

Lavenda ERT106 Memor
    January 15, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Oh sweet girl. It really is such a personal, confusing loss. I had a similar experience before getting pregnant with my daughter and I’m so proud of you for processing out loud and sharing your story. I’m sure it will help so many other women…

Sarah Tripp
    January 16, 2017 at 10:00 am

So sorry for you loss lady, but thanks for sharing! It’s so relatable and will help others cope. Hugs to you! xx

Nicholle
      January 17, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Thank you so much for your support, Sarah!

Mandy
    January 16, 2017 at 10:57 am

What a beautiful article. Thanks for sharing your story!

xoxo Mandy

Sydney
    January 16, 2017 at 11:52 am

It is so hard for people to understand the experience, my mom had a few miscarriages and I was a miracle. Even if I haven’t experienced it hearing my mom tell me and see how much love she has for me because I have her miracle. It is very special, and also heartbreaking.

Nicholle
      January 17, 2017 at 1:50 pm

What a beautiful thing to be for your mom! That can be so special and heartbreaking at the same time.

Lavenda Memory
    January 16, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Sending you my love sweet girl. I went through this before getting pregnant with my daughter and it’s something so personal and confusing to communicate… Thanks for sharing.

Nicholle
      January 17, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Thank you so much for this encouragement! Your sweet rainbow baby is beautiful! She has to bring so much light into your life. <3

Lauryn Hock
    January 16, 2017 at 3:45 pm

You are amazingly strong. I commend you for writing this post and sharing!

xo,
    Lauryn

Nicholle
      January 17, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Thank you so much, Lauryn! Your support means the world!

Stephanie
    January 16, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Sweet friend, I know I haven’t been following your blog for long, but I already believe you are a kindred spirit. Though you have walked through so many hardships, your grace and love continue to shine, and the love of the Lord shines through you. My heart aches for your loss, but is simultaneously encouraged that one day you *will* have the opportunity to snuggle with that little one in the presence of God – and what an amazing thought that is. My mom had two miscarriages before me and one after me, making me the “miracle child” (though I certainly feel far from that sometimes), and she still hurts all these years later over the loss, even though she’s at peace as well. It’s an ache that won’t ever go away, but a constant reminder that God is faithful to us as well and brings us comfort when we need it the most. Thank you for being so raw and sharing your story with us. You are the most beautiful soul.

Stephanie // SheSawStyle.com

Nicholle
      January 17, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Thank you so much, Stephanie! It truly is a reminder of what God is doing and writing in my story. How beautiful that you get to be that sweet rainbow baby for your mama.

Lauren
    January 16, 2017 at 7:32 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. I’m sure your openness will help someone else experiencing loss. <3

Lauren

Nicholle
      January 17, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Thank you, Lauren! That is my hope and prayer. XO

Jessica Sheppard
    January 16, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Wow! This post took so much courage. Thank you for sharing and being so open and honest. Loss is never easy, I’ve never experienced this kind of loss but I can’t even imagine how challenging it would be. Love that you shared your journey.

Nicholle
      January 17, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Thank you for your support, Jessica! Loss is hard, no matter if it’s the loss of a child or a friend. I truly hope it brings people courage!

cristin
    January 17, 2017 at 5:48 am

Man! I know that was so hard. Thanks for sharing. I’m sure you’re going to help so many people!!

cristin | http://thesouthernstyleguide.com

January Hart
    January 17, 2017 at 7:55 pm

So very sorry for your loss. You are so brave for sharing your story and I love the way you keep your sweet angel baby’s memory alive each year with a white rose.

Amanda Kruse
    January 19, 2017 at 9:09 pm

So very sorry for your loss. Thanks for taking the courage to share with others that may be facing the same thing.

xx,