Love bows, florals, polka dots, gold, and stripes? Then you, my friend, are a Kate Spade Inspired chica. I am giving you my 20 secret ways to be Kate Spade inspired!
Did you know I used to work for Kate Spade New York? I started out working as a Sales Associate and grew into the position of Store Stylist while living in SoCal. It was an amazing opportunity that truly inspired me to continue to be who I am today. During my time with Kate Spade, I developed many tricks and tips to accomplish a Kate Spade inspired look. Whether you live and breathe Kate Spade or you have occasionally looked the part, these secret tips are for you!
20 ways to be Kate Spade Inspired:
- Red lips: It’s simple but it’s a classic Kate Spade look. Also, any bold color can work. I went through countless tubes of Hot Pink and Red while working there. I am not wearing either in these photos because I wanted more of a soft Kate Spade look, plus that skirt didn’t need any overshadowing! I shared about my new favorite red lip HERE.
- Polka Dots: Add polka dots whenever possible. Shoes, Sweater, Coat, Skirt, Handbag, etc.
- Same Pattern Stacking: Don’t be afraid to wear multiple polka dot or stripe pieces together!
- Color Blocking: A go-to of mine, wearing a hot pink blouse with my red skirt. It’s a show stopper. Wear two bold colored pieces together and it’s a sold KS look!
- Pattern Mixing: Stripes with polka dots, leopard with stripes, floral with stripes, polka dots with floral, polka dots and leopard (as I have it on, not stacked next to each other but in the same outfit). I wrote about a pattern mixed outfit HERE!
- Bold Silhouettes: Your classic fit and flare skirt! Wear it with sweaters, blouses, and graphic tees.
- Fit and Flare Dress: The dress that is a fitted bodice and then flares at your hips to your knees. These dresses are timeless and a shoe in for Kate Spade.
- Glitter and Sparkle: Need I say more? Gold and Silver! Rose Gold!
- Black and White Stripes: I can’t tell you how many B&W striped pieces I have in my wardrobe. They are easy to wear with a pop of color in your pants or skirt. When you add your statement jewelry and bold lip you have a finished look. HERE is a full look that I wore weekly!
- Statement Jewelry: The more costume like the better. Bold colored chunky necklaces, earrings, stud earrings, bracelets, and scarves!
- Sparkle Shoes: Have you seen the Sparkle Keds? I have two pairs and love them. They spice up any outfit. KS also has sparkle heels that I swoon over every time. Sparkle flats, loafers, etc.
- Graphic Tees: Any graphic tee with a cheeky saying is the perfect addition. I would wear my graphic tees with a fit and flare skirt or jeans and a cute scarf!
- Bows: Anything with a bow is KS inspired these days. The bigger the bow the better! Even her active wear line has bows on them, I am dying over THIS jacket. I wrote about a bow outfit HERE!
- Topknot: How many ads have you seen with the models in a topknot for KS? Countless. This is one of the reasons why my blog is named Topknots and Pearls, I had an obsession with these two pieces and found my brand that made my obsession come to life.
- Pearls: A classic touch that can bring that 50’s and 60’s flare Kate Spade does so well. Pearl earrings, necklaces, bracelets, or decoration on your clothing.
- Belts: I hadn’t worn belts in years. That changed when I worked for KS, a belt complimented a simple shirt or fun dress. The more patterns mixed in the better!
- Bracelet Stacks: All the bold bangles please! Have you seen the idiom bangles, they are engraved and beautiful. I have countless bow bangles, a pretzel bangle, and even a fortune cookie bangle. The cheekier and quirkier(is that a word?) the better.
- Unusual Accents: Have you seen the handbags in the shapes of animals, dinosaurs, typewriters, etc? KS loves to bring in cute looks like this, they change every month! I have an Eiffel Tower handbag that is the best. These cute pieces are made into collections: earrings, bracelets, scarves, etc.
- Mix Textures: Mix your lace, faux fur, leather, faux leather, chambray, tulle, and silk. Mix them all in one outfit if you want! Actually, I should try that…stay tuned for that challenge!
- BE YOU: The biggest thing I learned from this brand was be yourself. I found my own style within the Kate Spade style. It helped me grow in confidence and my craft as a stylist.
Don’t be afraid to wear a few elements of this list. It’s fun to let your wardrobe flashback to the classic era Kate Spade has recreated in her store!