I am starting my 4th week at my new full-time job and have come to realize a myriad of ways I need to help myself survive working full time AND living life. If you have a full-time career, mama, entrepreneur, etc…this is for you.
This meme has been going around and it is completely relatable. Am I right?! Trying to balance everything is difficult. It’s like a separate full-time job! If you aren’t in the full-time job career category, you still connect with this. Keeping life in balance when you are raising kiddos, have your own business, etc. are all hard jobs!
My 21 Life Lines for Work and Life Balance
- Organize Calendar: make sure your days are organized at work and at home. I work my blog during my lunch hour. Do what you have to do to get it all done.
- Plan out meals: I HAVE to do this other wise we wouldn’t eat. Plain and simple. I prep all the meat, including seasoning, on Sunday or Monday. The veggies are easy to make and taste better fresh so those I have ready to cook each day.
- Prep lunches: I will either take leftovers or prep my lunch the night before. Jason preps his all on Mondays!
- Organize living areas: You have to be able to function at home. If you are constantly moving around clutter, you cannot settle in and live. PS Do not look at my house right now, it has not recovered from our long weekend!
- Schedule time for YOU: Whether it’s a coffee and a quick stop at TJ Maxx on your way home from work or reading a book when you come home from work for 30 minutes, do something that feeds your soul.
- Make time for working out: I am SO not good at this yet. I have decided to make an attainable goal for me each week, once that goal is a habit, I up the goal to the next level. Right now I am trying to work out twice a week.
- Give yourself grace: Seriously, don’t be hard on yourself. This makes it harder to actually find balance. Know there will be days you can’t do it all and that’s OK!
- Be consistent: Whatever you do, be consistent. This is key to adjusting your lifestyle. Don’t tackled very area all at once. Start with one thing and move onto the next once your first task is a habit.
- Grocery Shopping Date: This is so fun! Jason and I will grab a coffee and then go grocery shopping together. Mostly on Sundays after church. This also gives us a time to food prep when we get home.
- Remember Yourself: Don’t lose who you are as a person. You are unique and have unique interests. Be sure to keep those alive. You don’t want to end up 10 years down the road and not remember the things that give you passion or drive. Whether it be creative or scholastic, do what creates a fire in your heart. This spills into every area of your life.
- Make Lists: Yes. I have a list for everything! I would forget everything if I didn’t. My mirror in my room is the best place for me to put a list on the weekends. It helps me to stay on track with cleaning and such. Each day I make a list of everything I need to get done for my blog and tackle it on my lunch and right after I leave work. Keep your thoughts organized and lists condensed. The overwhelm of your to do’s won’t be able to settle in.
- Set REACHABLE Goals: What’s the point of a goal if you have to brutalize yourself to reach it. You need goals that can give you drive to pursue them but also rewards to encourage you to keep going. For me, I set a goal of making our bed every day for a month. By the end of the month it was a piece of cake and a new habit.
- Friendship Time: Seriously, those girlfriends are needed in life. Even if it’s a short check in during the week or a fun girls date every couple weeks. Schedule it in there. We all need that friendship connection. Sacrifice some cleaning time, it’s worth it.
- FUN: Make time for fun. Play board games as a family, go to the zoo, have a picnic, kayak, etc. Make time to have fun in your life, obviously a balance. You want to enjoy your life not just survive.
- Relationship Time: This is the most important thing to keep in a balance in your life if you have a spouse or significant other. If you don’t put the time into your relationship everyday, when life gets crazy, your relationship suffers. I know this all too well and have had to make conscious efforts to change this. Make the time and invest in your relationship.
- Organize car: Seems silly but it really helps. Mine is insane right now so it’s driving me insane! I usually keep it clean and have certain things in it that help me throughout my week. I always have gum, a second pair of shoes, Advil, hair ties, bobby pins, snacks, etc. Things I may need or forget during my work week.
- Cleaning Schedule: Get on a schedule for cleaning. Find what works for you and stick with it. If I don’t clean on Saturdays, it literally won’t get done throughout the week. I have to make sure I deep clean on the weekends so my week goes by smoothly.
- Accountability: Ask someone to help you stay on top of balance in your life. Ask them to call you out if they see you creating habits that are unhealthy in your relationship or life. It is important to hear other peoples observations of things you may not see in yourself.
- Clear Concise Communication: You have to clearly communicate with your spouse, significant other, and or family when your schedule is busy. Busy mamas or busy careers, there are lots of moving pieces. I have a huge calendar on my wall that I keep up to date on work schedule, appointments, family events, or activities so that Jason and I can both see it.
- Sleep Balance: I have found I need a good 8 hours of sleep right now to function properly. As I get more used to full time work and part time blogging, that urgency for that much sleep should adjust. Find what your balance is. It may be 6 or 4 while drinking coffee all day. Who knows!
- FLEXIBILITY: This is key for survival. There is no way that the above 20 items will always happen in perfect fashion. If they do, tell me your secret! Be flexible and roll with what each day gives you. Like tonight, I am way past my bedtime but I had blogging I needed to get done. Tomorrow I know will be an earlier to bed kind of night for me and that’s ok.
You can keep balance in your full time life,
it takes at least 21 days to create a habit.
PS Major giveaway below!!!
This $500 Amazon Gift Card giveaway is brought to you by the bloggers above. It is open to the U.S. and Canada. You can enter by performing the actions below in the Rafflecopter, marking that you have done them and providing your name/username for us to verify. Each entry has a link so it makes it easy to do the actions.
Giveaway runs from May 3 – May 17, 2017 (concludes at 12:00 AM on the last day). Winner will be announced within 10 days of the conclusion of the giveaway and entries will be verified by the hosts. Thanks for participating, I can’t wait for you to see all of these awesome bloggers!
Terms and conditions are listed in the Rafflecopter.